Does Auto insurance Cover Medical Expenses?
Auto insurance policies may help pay accident-related medical bills, depending on your chosen coverage. Contact James V. Funaro Agency in Bethpage, New York, to learn more about including medical coverage with your auto insurance.
How Does Auto Insurance Cover Injuries?
Each state determines whether auto insurance policies must include coverage for accident-related injuries. Depending on where you live, you may have access to the following:
- Medical Payments (MedPay) coverage helps cover the medical costs of drivers and passengers if they sustain injuries in a crash.
- Personal injury protection (PIP) provides medical payments coverage plus other related financial losses such as partial wage replacement.
New York Requires PIP Coverage
In addition to minimum auto liability requirements, New York drivers must purchase PIP, also called no-fault coverage, to secure help paying for medical bills after a covered car accident.
PIP coverage may help pay several types of accident-related financial losses, including:
- A portion of the injured person’s lost wages if they are unable to continue working due to accident-related injuries
- Medical services
- Dental services
- Surgical services
- Psychiatric and physical rehabilitative services
- Diagnostic services
- Ambulatory services
- Hospital expenses
- The costs of hiring someone to handle routine activities that are no longer possible due to accident-related injuries
- Funeral and burial costs if the insured person dies due to a covered accident
Under certain circumstances, people injured in a crash can file a claim against the at-fault driver to get additional assistance paying accident-related medical costs.
New York drivers who sustain injuries in a crash where the other motorist was at fault can file a liability claim against the at-fault driver only if serious injury criteria are met. These criteria may include (but are not limited to):
- Fracture, severe disfigurement or dismemberment
- Significant disability lasting at least 90 days
- Significant or permanent limitation of a body organ, system or function
- Loss of a fetus
How to Buy PIP Coverage In New York
The state of New York has some of the highest PIP limit requirements in the nation. Even so, as medical costs continue to rise, your agent may recommend that you purchase coverage in excess of minimum requirements to ensure appropriate protection.
Contact the James V. Funaro Agency today to learn more about your PIP options and customize your coverage to meet your needs.
This blog is intended for informational and educational use only. It is not exhaustive and should not be construed as legal advice. Please contact your insurance professional for further information.